Monday, November 3, 2014

ASSIGNMENT # 3 Writing Dialogue

ASSIGNMENT # 3 Writing Dialogue
In this blog assignment you will practice writing dialogue, conversation. It's important to be aware of a few basic rules. Whenever you have a new speaker, make sure you indent 5 spaces. There are 4 ways to introduce dialogue.

1.  Mr. Van Camp exclaimed, "Writing dialogue is fun!"

2. "Writing dialogue is fun," stated Mr. Van Camp

3. "Writing dialogue," remarked Mr. Van Camp, "is fun."

4. "Writing dialogue is fun."


Note that sometimes, as in example 4, you do not need to indicate who said something because you have shown that it is the other speaker by indenting.


Finish the conversation below. The dialogue should be interactive rather than just a long story on your part. Use each of the above methods at least twice. Take note that I have NOT used the word "said" in my example. I want you to choose words that more precisely convey the manner in which each character is speaking. Make certain that your punctuation is precise.
 

Homework Blues


       As I shuffled into the classroom, I knew that Mr. Van Camp would never believe me. I looked at my scuffed shoes and mumbled, " My homework is not done, Sir. I do have a good excuse though."

       " This is not the first time your homework has not been completed. Perhaps," Mr. Van Camp suggested, "it's time to speak with your parents."

       "Please, you have no idea what will happen to me if you phone my home," I moaned. It looked as if he was going to fall for my story.

      "Well, let's hear your excuse. It better be good."

No comments:

Post a Comment